Becoming self-confident is a quest that only determined individuals must undertake.
This is because it takes much time, energy and determination to be able to develop this positive trait.
When a person starts to gain control over this thoughts and also his actions, it is inevitable that this person would feel self-assured since he already knows and understands himself better.
Also, self-confident individuals know how to control their reactions toward any given situation. It may not be easy to do all this but a self-confident person does it anyway.
Self-Confidence as a Skill
Self-confidence is an important skill for customers, employees, bosses, spouses, and even young children. People who appear confident to others will gain confidence from them as well. And once these people learn to trust a confident person, they will transact without any inhibition which is quite advantageous to people in sales and marketing.
Once a person is trusted by others, this individual will feel better about himself and would truly become self-confident.
Components of Self-Confidence
One of the major components of self-confidence is faith. A person who wants to learn to become self-confident must first believe that he can become one. Faith is more of a spiritual aspect more than mental and it would help to think of it that way. If a person believes that he is a divine creation, he would definitely feel better about himself.
Another important factor is peace of mind. This second component is necessary because changing into a self-confident person requires concentration. A clouded mind will not be able to do this.
A person who has peace of mind would never feel anxious, depressed, fearful, neither angry. Any of these negative emotions should be taken out of one’s mind if the end goal is self-confidence.
Another component of self-confidence is balance. A sense of balance is required to achieve assurance in all aspects of life. A person who can truly establish balance in his life will have nowhere to go but up.
For instance, a person who was once shy would do well to practice expressing himself when opportunities present themselves. He must start expressing his opinions in all circumstances (this is the exact opposite of his former behavior which is being shy or timid). This doesn’t mean going about and expressing one’s opinions even if not being asked to.
Exercises to Boost Confidence
* The Circle of Self-Confidence–this exercise can be done by imagining a circle that one has to go into. All the negative things that is used to be done by the person should be outside this circle and the new behaviors are all inside the circle. The behaviors that are outside the circle must be avoided at all costs while the ones inside the circle must be constantly practised.
* Relaxation–even simple relaxation can do wonders. Just doing nothing is not relaxation; it means resting and freeing the mind of any negative thoughts. Relaxation can boost self-confidence as it makes the mind a haven of good thoughts. As all know it, good thoughts spur good deeds.
* Breathing exercises–concentration and relaxation both utilize deep and calming breathing exercises. Breathing properly would help prepare a person to relax and take away all the negative feelings and thoughts that he has.
* Hypnosis–can have many methods such as self-hypnosis and getting a professional hypnotist’s help. Hypnosis can put the mind to a stage where it can absorb almost anything (trance-like state).
Becoming self-confident is hard work but it is doable.
And these components and exercises will help anyone overcome himself and become truly confident.
Article by Benedict Smythe
About the Author : PDL Courses is an international provider of training services with an established reputation for design and delivery of professional courses.
- Self Confidence Success And Sabotage (healthylifestyleplus.com)
- How to Use Hypnosis (answers.com)
- Self-Confidence – Take Time to Help Yourself (healthylifestyleplus.com)
Category: Healthy Mind